Tuesday, October 20, 2015

My Reaction to the Final Star Wars Force Awakens Trailer



I don't usually do trailer or movie reviews. I used to be a media critic and I got super burned out. Writing hurts that my hands so much that I barely feel up to correcting my grammar. But, when I watched this trailer, I got the same familiar chills that I haven't gotten since I watched the crawl in Star Wars Phantom Menace.

Star Wars was my childhood. It had everything a kid could want. A swashbuckling Han Solo, The beautiful but formidable Princess Leigh, The baddest villain of all time who (woah) became the Mystical Heroes Dad. Like many of you, I have seen the original Trilogy over 300 times.

Then came the prequel. Having read some of the early leaked scripts as a child, I expected to see the gritty dark fall of Anakin Skywalker as he perpetrated a Holocaust on the Jedi Order. Instead, I was rewarded with a racist-alien Jamaican named "Misa" Jar Jar Binks. Watching the Star Wars prequel felt like my childhood was ripped out of my chest like that poor guy's heart in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

The force was no longer a mystical energy field that any of us could attain if we focused hard enough. I realized that I could not open Automatic Doors with my hand or  use the Jedi Mind Trick to force girls into giving me their phone number. It was nothing more a sexually transmitted disease and Anakin Skywalker aka Darth Vader (the Number 1 Villain of all time) was just some weird dark satire of Jesus Christ (virgin birth).

Then Disney bought them. And I was like here we go: Mickey Mouse with a Lightsaber. But, then, I had a little hope that they might rejuvenate the franchise before they suck every last drop of money and creativity out of it like the marketing vampires that they are. I'm talking about Tinkerbell vs. the Never-beast here.

And then they hired JJ Abrams and I got a little more hope. I admit that I was not a fan of JJ Abrams earlier work but his retake on Star Trek is magical. Before JJ worked his magic, Star Trek was an un-watchable cheese-fest (Just personal opinion, no offense to the millions of trekkers out there).

I was still unimpressed after I watched a few lackluster Force Awkans trailers. I wasn't very impressed even with a Geriatric Han Solo cameo. But then this trailer came out. Han Solo gave me chills and for the first time in a long time I could feel the force once more. It was like when he said "Its all real" that it was a validation of my childhood. That the prequels never happened and that Star Wars is Star Wars again. As long as Jar Jar Binks is buried in some forgotten hole on Naboo, I think this film has the possibility of living up to its name...Reawakening the Force.

---

Apologies to Disney, George Lucas, Harrison Ford, JJ Abrams and whatever poor sap they duped into playing Jar Jar Binks. I usually try to avoid making enemies online but when it comes to Star Wars, I have to speak the truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment